Thursday, January 07, 2010

Pen and Ink

Also these past weeks, I've been indulging in an orgy of pen and ink drawings. This is one of my first loves--I orginally worked in ink in the 1960s--but I hadn't done as much these last years. Anyway, I began doing some landmarks and scenes pertaining to Iowa, and these are some of the best of the lot. The first is the local courthouse, listed as a National Historic Building. The second is simply a group of signs that interested me. As you can see, the second involved work with both dip pen and brush. Time permitting in the next few days I'll probably post a few more of these. Working
without color can be very liberating, not to say fun. It's too bad that this medium is used so infrequently these days, compared to the golden years of illustration a century ago.


Post a Comment