Friday, July 12, 2019

Art and Air Travel

Hoff, "Lisbon Trolley," wc in sketchbook, 2017
For a long while, when traveling for more than a day or two I've carried along art supplies and made pictures. At first it was simply a sketchbook and pencil, then a watercolor set and paper (postcard sized and bigger). Eventually other art materials have come along too, but mostly I opt for portability. For an artist, sketching is a non-stop discipline.

But besides pencil or small water media outfits like those mentioned, can an artist take other supplies along on an airline flight? Some worry that their oil paint can't be brought onto airliners but the rules aren't so restrictive as they imagine.

Hoff, "Plum Point," oil on panel, 2019
Certainly since the rules regarding carry-ons have been changed, bringing oil paint and related supplies aboard--particularly liquids--has become a bit different. Inflammables can't be brought aboard any airliner (and were always banned), so solvents including mineral spirits, turpentine, alcohols, and so on are forbidden. But painters' oils--linseed, walnut, etc.--are not inflammable and are therefore allowed both in checked bags and carry-ons as is tubed oil paint, according to the Federal Aviation Administration rules available online. So for an oil painter it's simple enough to leave solvents in the studio and buy a small container on arrival. That said, in years past sometimes less-informed members of Transportation Security actually confiscated tubed oil paint in once in a while--it happened to a friend--but not so much today.

My own experiences traveling with oil paint have been uneventful. During the early part of this century when there was more apprehension about paint on aircraft I shipped my oil paint and materials ahead of time and shipped them back. Since the beginning of this decade I've packed my oils and supplies in a checked bag without incident. In general I do not travel with oils unless participating in a specific oil painting event.

For me travel supplies will continue to be a sketchbook or two, a few graphite pencils and a kneaded eraser, a few disposable technical pens, a waterbrush or two, and a small watercolor set. Besides that, these days a computer tablet and stylus round out my kit. All will fit into a single compartment or two of my carry-on bag and any part of the kit except the tablet slips into a convenient pocket. For me, travel should be light.

For a complete list of banned and allowed items for airline travel see the FAA website.

2 comments:

  1. When I travel by plane I put my oil paints in a double 1 gallon plastic bag....including the MSDS ( material saftey data sheet ) for my paints. Also, I label my oils as "vegetable based hobby colors". I've never had a problem. That said, I do have artist friends who labeled their oils as "paint".....the oils were confiscated. Of course, this goes into my "check-in" bag......NEVER carry-on bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good way to insure that TSA at least has information about the safety of oils. And yes, to be certain, the best thing is to check them.

      Delete