Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Machines in Memories

Vintage automobiles from the early and middle of the last century have intrigued me since I was learning to drive them almost 60 years ago. If you've read this blog you've seen posts about my love for old cars. Although the mechanical side of things doesn't interest me much, the look and feel of those beautiful machines has kept me drawing them. I went back and pulled up a few digitalia of favorites.

Hoff, "1950 DeSoto," digital
In those days, the late 1950s and early 60s, just before the Mustang and muscle cars and sports cars and all that, I learned to drive in a 1950 DeSoto sedan (above). It had a very early version of automatic transmissions called fluid drive, a very confusing way to shift gears. DeSotos were mid- to upper range cars, solid and smooth and tank-like. And it had a separate visor just like the drawing above. Ours was Navy blue with white sidewalls. 

Hoff, "'58 VW," digital

Another cherished memory is a late '50s Volkswagen Beetle (although they weren't called that much). Unlike later models there were two small, matching rear windows. The engine was in the rear, one of the few cars built that way with weight over the drive wheels, so the VW would travel more easily on slippery pavement. Mine, like many, had virtually no heat in winter and of course air conditioned cars were rare. Nonetheless, I remember it like a teenage crush.

Hoff, "1950 Ford F-1," digital
Ol pickup trucks are wonderful, particularly those like my 1950 Ford (above). That one was a metallic emerald green with an oak bed, chrome wheels, and a souped-up engine. I actually saw it on a car lot, stopped and bought it. Because it was so old it was exempt from many safety regulations, notably seat belts. It had stiff, mechanical steering and old-style brakes. Although I loved it, in the end, with no place to store it in winter (you don't think I'd drive that on ice?) I traded it in. But I would love to have it yet.                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment