Friday, November 27, 2020

Resurrected

Once in a while it's useful to rummage around in old file folders on the computer because sometimes you find things. This week in an effort to streamline files and remove duplicates, rework various file and folder names and generally clean up my records I ran across a painting that was sold many years ago, of which I've no longer any record. "NYC Spring" was (I think) 12x9 and definitely painted on a panel. It was sold but the buyer information and other particulars have somehow disappeared.

Hoff, "NYC Spring," oil on panel, ca. 2010

This particular painting is part of a series of New York scenes I've done over the years. New York has always attracted me but it was only in adulthood that I've been able to visit frequently. A visit to Manhattan is a chance to sketch, people-watch, visit selected museums and galleries, check in at my art club (Salmagundi) in Greenwich Village, take in a show perhaps, have a great dinner, and breathe the life of the metropolis. Sometimes the sketches lead to more but sometimes the results are from memory. This painting is a fantasy of the city from some of those memories, a view from the subway stairs. As sometimes happens this particular picture came together almost without effort and sold at the first offering. Luckily I had one image of the painting but somehow the other records have been lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment