Friday, January 22, 2021

Sea Study

Though disadvantaged by distance from the sea, the ceaseless ocean has always fascinated me. Personal experiences aside, through paintings of the masters, movies, photography, and more, images of the ocean in its various moods have been in my head for a long while. These last weeks, in addition to regular studio work and a new landscape series, I've done a few more marine studies. 

"Wave Study," oil on canvas

This particular oil study was done after a teaching series by E. John Robinson, but heavily altered for my own purposes. It was valuable for a number of reasons. For one thing, the palette is limited, yet the sense of distance, color, and variety is striking. The colors were ivory black, raw umber, burnt sienna, cerulean blue, ultramarine blue, and white. The foreground, showing a tide pool with rocky bottom, is not in the original--it was added as a study. Mr. Robinson lived and worked on the Oregon coast, which I've not visited, but I think the work captures the sense of the region. 



No comments:

Post a Comment