Friday, April 09, 2021

Why Art

One of the questions that has floated around for many years involves the purposes of art. For me, there are two serious problems with the question itself. One is how to define art at all and second, any answers about purpose are likely to be myriad. For some people "art" is anything done creatively--everything from crocheted doilies to cute birdhouses to computer generated animation to belly dancing. Today everyone who makes anything is an artist. The fundamental reason people make things because that is simply one of the things we humans do. We are a species of makers. Of course, we have many reasons to make things--money, recognition, commentary, curiosity and so on. 

Hoff, "Santorini Rooftops," oil, 8x8, private collection

Like many, it has occurred to me to ask myself  why I make paintings and drawings. Being honest with myself, I admit to not knowing. Art classes in public schools were common when I was growing up and gave me great pleasure because of the opportunities to draw and make things. It was fascinating to study shapes and colors, perspective and faces. There was deep satisfaction to be had in making a successful drawing. Aside from school grades personal gratification was my motivation to make images. It was and is deeply satisfying to make a good drawing or painting, but the glow you feel when someone actually likes it is profound, at least in the beginning. Later on, there's the quiet fulfillment of doing something well regardless. Andrew Wyeth once said he didn't give a damn what happened to his paintings because he had the pleasure of making them. Exactly. 

Hoff, "Olive," oil, 8x8, private collection

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment