Friday, March 11, 2022

Casein Again

This past year or so I've neglected casein paint in favor of oils and watercolor. But as the seasons change I've been thinking about taking it up once again. Casein paint, for those who aren't familiar with it, is made from milk protein (casein) that has been emulsified. It's a wonderful medium that dries matte and therefore photographs well. It dries like lightning, too, making it a go-to illustrators' paint. I've written about it before but it's been a couple of years

In preparation for coming back to some casein painting (again), I rummaged through my files and found "On the Sound," (below) a studio casein done on Bristol board in 2020. The painting is based on reference photos I shot from a sailboat on Puget Sound several years back. Seascapes are a personal pleasure--I've never offered them for sale--done for my own edification. This particular work represents studies of color, composition, and the paint itself. It's around 24x16.

"On the Sound (Dropping the Spinnaker)," casein on Bristol.

Later this year I'm going to take my casein box outdoors and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment