Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Bottles and Light

Although the past several years of my painting interests have involved painting water and light, among other things, it is light that forms the thread of my works. A few years back it was glass and light in still life works. The real fascination for me is what happens as light encounters either of those two. Water and glass alike can transmit, reflect, and refract light. Their perceived appearance in fact depends heavily on the angle of incident light, too. 

"Winter Bottles," oil on panel, 8x10
"Winter Bottles" is a good example of how light can seem trapped inside a glass container. I saw this on my work table one winter afternoon and quickly painted it. The light was bright but indirect but somehow a small bottle of linseed oil seemed to possess a hidden glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment