Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Two Trees

"Out Back," oil on panel
Like many before me, I return again and again to certain subjects. Andrew Wyeth, for example, painted the nearby Kuerner farm dozens of times during his career. Claude Monet is known for his series of haystacks. Francis Bacon painted several images of Pope Innocent X in his "Screaming Popes" series. 

In my own practice, a pair of unlikely trees have been one of my series. Just out the window of my home studio is Druid Hill Creek, and beyond that a small woods. Two trees with contrasting sizes stand before the others, often more brightly lighted. Over the years most of the pictures I've done of the two trees have been paintings--oil and watercolor. Here are a handful.

"Blue Spruce," oil on panel

"Across the Creek," watercolor on paper

"Foliage," watercolor on paper

"The Other Bank," oil on panel


No comments:

Post a Comment