Tuesday, November 08, 2022

A Plein Air Summer

Reviewing photos of plein air work from last summer. Besides three weeks at my art residency, I managed to paint outdoors quite a bit. These three are from the first three months of the season. All of them are oil on panel, 9x12.

"Raccoon River Bridge," May 2022

The bridge in this painting is an old iron trestle bridge that's now a pedestrian/cycle path. The sun was behind my left shoulder as I painted this, standing on the riverbank. The light on the far trees and embankment was wonderful and warm. This one took two separate sessions to finish.

"North Shore, Gray's Lake,", June 2022


This is a view of the point on the northern shore of a lake near my studio, completed in a single rapid session of about two hours. The lake was quite still in early morning and the sunlight barely lighted treetops far off and caught the banks just across from my painting spot.

"Along the Cowpasture River," July 2022


During July we spent time with friends in southern Virginia, along a magical, unspoiled and sparsely populated river. I had the pleasure of painting several plein air pieces while there, all at a leisurely pace. This view is just outside their cabin--it's my favorite.

There are a number of plein air works on my website--check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment