Friday, December 09, 2022

Invention and Experimentation

Although there are quite a few reasons why painting attracts me, one of the foremost is the chance to do something I haven't done before. It might be using a new kind of paint, or perhaps a new support. Sometimes it's mixing a specific color using different components. The kinds of experimentation and invention are endless. Not long ago I bought a stack of heavy paper from the Legion Paper, a well-known supplier of art papers. This particular variety has a slight tooth, making it suitable for metalpoint and other drawing media. But it's also somewhat heavier than lighter papers I've used for watercolor. So I gave it a try. 

"Country Lane," watercolor on paper, about 6x8

This particular composition is based on a photo I snapped not far from my house--that is, the reference is a city street, complete with driveways and houses along the left. I simply removed the houses, emphasized the trees and changed the street to resemble a gravel road. So in a sense this is an imaginary scene superimposed on an ordinary street. The paper held up well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment