Friday, April 14, 2023

Cataloging

One of the more onerous tasks in the studio is keeping track of my work. Sometimes it seems to me that I need an assistant to keep up with the mundane tasks of scanning works for digital records, sorting and organizing the actual works, and preserving or destroying those that need it. As works pile up you have to keep track. 

Today while scanning and organizing watercolor works I ran across a few sketches that seemed worth sharing. Here's one. 

"February, Gray's Lake" wc/ink on paper, 8x10

"February, Gray's Lake" is a sketch I did with the Saturday group a couple of months back. It was one of those sunny winter days when you can sit in a sheltered, sunny spot to work and feel reasonably comfortable. The lake was the color of old pewter and the far shore and treeline looked monotonous at first. But as I sat and studied, you could see countless variations and shades in the seemingly boring trees, and the sandy near shore made an interesting ochre-red contrast. Overall, this kind of sketch looks different after it's had time to mature. As I recall, I didn't like this one much at the time I did it but today it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment