Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Practice

One of the disciplines many artists follow is simply working every day. Daily work means daily practice of whatever art the person pursues. A musician either plays a gig daily or simply runs through various parts of his repertoire. A writer sits in her desk chair and writes; a drummer drums; and so on. 

In my own art practice, I use various strategies to hone my work. For one thing, daily digital drawings and paintings are an ongoing constant. But there's a risk of growing stale if you do the same things over and over, so I also do watercolors (my Saturday group), graphite and ink drawings, and sometimes other media like metalpoint. Variety makes a difference. 

Here's a recent graphite study with chalk highlights. As is often the case, this is a head and face, snagged from an online reference. It's about 8x6 on toned paper.

Hoff, "Head of a Man," graphite and chalk on paper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment