Friday, June 23, 2023

Sherman Hill

Sketching buildings and other structures can be daunting. When I do that kind of sketch I look first for the big shapes--volume shapes, not simple shapes. That is, I look for cubes, spheres (or spherical shapes), and so on. If you start that way you can make the sketch more solid looking. Next I spend a great deal of time making sure of the perspective I'm using. Most times it's two point perspective, but sometimes different. I don't use a straight edge, just "eyeball" it. 

Here's an ink and watercolor sketch of an apartment building in an old and funky neighborhood just northwest of downtown. Many of the houses are Victorian, but there is a smattering of 1930s low-rise brick apartments and houses. I chose this one for it's rather ornate facade. There was only enough time to do the left side but that provides enough information to complete the work if need be.

"Up on Sherman Hill," ink and wc, about 6x9


No comments:

Post a Comment