Friday, September 29, 2023

Traditional Drawing

For the last five years or so most of my drawings have been digital, using a Wacom display tablet. Until then (like most) my drawings were graphite, charcoal, and sometimes metalpoint. Further, my daily drawing (see my companion blog Daily Digitalia) wasn't really habitual; more sporadic. But the ease and simplicity of drawing digitally is seductive, hence the hundreds of digital drawings over on the other blog. 

But lately technical issues have kept me from doing digital drawings at my main studio, so I've reverted to graphite when I need a quick sketch or impression.

By the Window, graphite on toned paper

Drawing is basic. For me, a painting begins with a drawing, usually a very sketchy one indicating major masses and color shapes. Sometimes a more detailed rendering is needful, but usually I only do a very rough one. 

My evolving experience with traditional drawing is intriguing. Next month is the worldwide Inktober drawing challenge. Perhaps I'll try pen and ink again.


No comments:

Post a Comment