Friday, March 22, 2024

Domes

Last Saturday the sketch group decided to take a look at the Iowa state capitol grounds for subject matter. Owing to unusual circumstances--gridlock near the capitol--my time sketching was limited. It was a beautifully sunny day but the wind was brisk and cold. Even so, the best vantage point for sketching this view of the Iowa Capitol was on foot and out of my car. So I spent about 45 minutes drawing and painting this limited view. 

This was one of those times when nature works against you. The wind was so strong it kept blowing my watercolor box closed. My sketchbook would only be still if I held it in one hand, which was fairly limiting, too. Nonetheless, there was enough time to draw and paint the golden dome and one of the smaller subsidiaries.

"Capitol Domes," wc/ink ~3x5


No comments:

Post a Comment