Thursday, March 02, 2006

I've just made arrangements to spend an afternoon at the Great Ape Trust of Iowa, a local primate research facility, getting to know a group of pygmy chimps there. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. I'm going to be introduced to a group there that have very high communication skills--they communicate readily with humans and they also understand English--so that I can eventually do some portraits of the individuals and also perhaps, some group paintings. I'm fascinated by these creatures so it's going to be a real adventure for me. I'm giving the woman who is the primary research worker this portrait of the prodigy of the group, whose name is Kanzi, which I'm told means "treasure" in one of the African languages. This portrait is oil on linen panel, 16x20.

No comments:

Post a Comment