Friday, October 11, 2019

More Inktober

So we're about a third of the way through the month, and I've managed at least one ink drawing a day. Some have been simple, others more complicated. Most have involved only pen, but on several I've used a brush as well. On a few I've added shading using markers.

The drawing to the right was done using technical pen and Copic brush markers. The original concept was actually a digital sketch done a couple of years earlier. In this case, I lightly drew the main outlines in pencil, then inked the drawing and added shading with a mid-value grey marker. In effect the process was rather like doing a layered digital drawing. This one could be named "Zeus." Although the drawing could be carried much farther, this seemed a proper place to stop.




Another Inktober drawing is the one to the left of the last roses from my garden. I cut them the day I made the drawing. In this case shading was done using the old traditional technique of hatching. Darker values call for closer hatches and lighter for more widely spread ones. These two small blossoms came from the same branch of a small bush in my front garden.



Today's Inktober drawing is a loose copy of a drawing by Albrecht Durer completed in 1505. This Head of a Man is less hatched and therefore lighter than the Durer original, but my intent was more to study technique rather than make an exact copy. Of course, this was drawn in my usual way using a light pencil sketch as an original layin then inking. The graphite is removed using a kneaded eraser after the drawing is sufficiently complete.









----
Previously in this series
Inktober Plan
Another Shot of Ink(tober)

No comments:

Post a Comment