Tuesday, March 10, 2020

First of the Season

Although the warming season is early again this year, the advantage is that I've had an opportunity to work outdoors. My first outing was late last month when the weather was considerably more raw with light wind and tempertures in the low 40s. But about a week ago, with bright sunshine and higher temperatures I ventured out to Waterworks Park, not far from my studio. The Raccoon River flows through the park (and is the water supply for Des Moines), offering loop after loop of meandering banks for recreation and for painting.

I stopped and set up on a small turnout right on the bank, giving me an unobstructed view downstream toward one of the river's wanderings. At this time of year the trees show no hint of foliage and the banks are yellow-brown. Nonetheless, there is muted color galore in the woods that line the channel. With no wind and the sun at my back it was a pleasant two hours trying to capture the lazy flow of the water. My relatively new Open Box M continues to be a real pleasure to use. (Thank you Garin Baker.)

The painting went smoothly, and the sound of the water was soothing for the two hours or so I spent there. So here is the first plein air oil painting of the season. "Early March on the Raccoon" is 9x12 on a lightweight panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment