Saturday, May 16, 2020

Still in the Neighborhood

Although at the time this is published almost all of the United States have begun to "reopen", meaning drop imposed limits on public gatherings and establishments, my plan remains to stay very close to Druid Hill Creek and the very near environs. That can sometimes mean painting or drawing the same subject or view, as I've done with views upstream, downstream, and across the creek from the studio.

The weather--cold and rainy--hasn't cooperated all that much these past few days, but I did manage a watercolor of the view from the studio window. It's hardly the first time I've painted this view (or drawn it for that matter), but the view is familiar and convenient. I laid this one out in graphite and ink before adding color, but didn't let the ink lines distract from using different methods of rendering foliage. Although many of the very fine lines in the painting are ink, the very fine tip on my brush allowed me to paint much fine detail, especially tree bark and undergrowth. This is 9x7 in one of my sketchbooks.






































I'm certain to use this view again.
---
Related
Painting in the Neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment