Tuesday, May 05, 2020

The View Downstream

In the post about painting in the neighborhood I showed several paintings of the view upstream on Druid Hill Creek. But it is the view downstream that has occupied me more. That's because the view is actually the view from a north window of the studio. Since I've started doing more oil painting outdoors I've done a number of paintings of that view to go along with a myriad of watercolors I did in the past, using the same theme.

This is the basic view of Druid Hill Creek, bare of leaves in the winter. There are actually more trees on the west bank and the trees on the right are enormous but I omitted them to emphasize the creek. It runs due north for about a half mile, then bends into the trees. This 2018 watercolor was done in a 5x9 sketchbook I keep in the studio. February is entirely too cold for outdoor painting, in my books.

"Downstream," oil on panel, 2019
When the undergrowth and trees go into leaf the view downstream gradually disappears--the foliage droops and mostly covers it. Last May I went outside to the creek bank and painted the 9x12 oil posted above. Instead of a broad view, though, I wanted to study the rocks and water. The creek was running briskly over the sand and rock bottom. It disappeared under overhanging branches less than thirty yards away.
"Downstream, Early April,' oil on panel, 2020
Early last month was the first opportunity this year to go out an paint on the creek bank. Because of the pandemic, of course, it was one of the few places I could go without worry. Unlike the earlier view, there was almost no grass or foliage and the creek was low and sluggish, exposing more of the bottom. Nonetheless, the light was better, the temperatures were warmer, and it was a delight just to be outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment