Friday, September 24, 2021

A Saturday Sketch

The Saturday sketchers were at it again last weekend. The weather last Saturday was beautiful, sunny and warm, and the site we chose--a local city library--offered a lot of opportunities. Almost all of us found shade along the banks of a graceful pond that flanks the main building. The grounds there have been landscaped beautifully and include new and old growth, walking paths, benches and sculptures. The pond isn't all that large but it's flanked with trees and shrubs and at one end a blue-green bridge crosses a creek. The bridge reminds me of Monet's famous one at Giverney. (No water lilies though.) The breeze from the south was cooled just enough as it spread over the water, and I sat and painted the scene for a couple of hours. 

Hoff, "The Bridge," watercolor on paper, 9x6

I set up along a walking path not far from the "Monet" bridge. The sketchbook I'm using these days gives me space to make an image about 6x9. This time the beginning was a careful drawing because I wanted to make certain of angles and perpendiculars. After that I washed in colors in various spots and then layered colors one over another. When satisfied I added ink to emphasize foliage the bridge, and the tall lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment