Tuesday, May 03, 2022

April Sketching

The advance of spring has been glacial so far. Even into early May we've had grey skies and rain. The warmth you'd expect has yet to materialize. Farmers are behind in their plantings and I'm behind in outdoor painting. The Saturday sketch group remains intrepid though, going out rain or shine on Saturday afternoons. These little watercolors that I make are great fun and help me mark time until I can manage full-scale plein air oil painting. 

"Early April, Gray's Lake," watercolor on paper
April was less cruel than you might expect, but stayed cool and mostly cloudy. The watercolor and ink sketch I made that first week of the month shows the drabness of the woods at the edge of Gray's Lake. The grass hadn't even begun to turn green.
"Waterworks Park, April," watercolor on paper
Three weeks later (above) the grass in the park across from the lake has gone bright green and hints of green are showing in the woods beyond the Raccoon River. This view is a road through Waterworks Park that winds along the river and into even wilder areas. I love to paint there. This particular watercolor was done from my car--a cloudburst kept me there for the entire painting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment