Friday, May 20, 2022

Plein Air at Last

After waiting and longing for plein air work for three or four months spring weather has at last allowed me some time outdoors. During the past week sun and warmth predominated over grey skies and damp, so that I was able to get outside with my Open BoxM and actually do some oil painting. It isn't that there haven't been outdoor opportunities, of course. The Saturday group goes out weekly, rain or shine, and I've had a few outings with them, as far back as March. But watercolor and oil paint are quite different. Watercolor is quick, portable, transparent and oil paint is slower in execution and drying, semi-opaque and considerably less easy to transport. 

I finished a single plein air oil this week, 9x12 on panel, completed on the spot. The Raccoon River is nearly always a slow, lazy stream colored a warm brown-green by silt from farmland upstream. Because it's so near it's one of my favorite subjects. 

"Raccoon Bend," oil on panel, 9x12
It is a certainty that this summer and fall I'll be spending more time on the river bank.


No comments:

Post a Comment