Friday, June 17, 2022

Outdoor Morning

As the weather has warmed, time for outdoor painting has expanded. With good sun and no rain it's possible to go out practically every day. The first couple of week of June have been particularly good for plein air painting. And of course the Saturday group goes weekly, like clockwork. 

"North Shore," oil on panel, 9x12

With "North Shore" I began going out earlier in the day, looking for that beautiful slanting light that sets things aglow. This particular plein air painting was done on the northern shore of Gray's Lake, less than a mile from my home studio, in two early morning sessions. As I nearly always do I used a 9x12 panel, thinly washed with burnt sienna to do away with the blinding white of the priming. Starting at the top and working down I washed in colors thinly at first and then with more bodied paint. The red-tinted surface served as a middle value and a nice complement to the myriad greens of the landscape. After letting thin paint set for a few minutes I painted the greens, mixing the color from various blues, yellows and black. As an exercise, I tried very hard to make a stroke of paint and then leave it unblended, particularly in the top three-quarters. The foreground water was blended to smoothness to suggest a still surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment