Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Concept to Completed

Many painters go through a relatively extended process of observation, study or studies, preliminary sketching, and eventually completion of a finished painting. For me, that kind of work up to a completed oil painting would be ideal, and sometimes I even do it that way. Many times though the final painting seems to leap off my brushes and onto the canvas. 

When I do go through studies and sketches many don't get saved, but here's a painting of a Des Moines landmark that went through several stages.

"Des Moines Pagoda," ink and marker, 2016

This small ink study is the result of several visits to an Asian pavilion that was constructed on the east bank of the Des Moines river about 15 years ago as a commemoration of a former governor and his humanitarian efforts on behalf of Asian refugees. The building is in the traditional style of Asia, with a deep red structure and a multicolored roof with upturned corners. To me it was a bewildering cacophony of forms and shapes that I wanted to master. 

"Study for Landmark," oil on panel, 2020

It took about four years before I was able to return to the subject, but as a beginning I made a 12x9 plein air oil study, from the south side of the building, trying hard to capture shapes and colors without much regard to detail. Even though I omitted much detail, the on site work was invaluable when I did the finished work, below. 

Still not satisfied with a first plein air work I returned a few days later to work from the opposite side and refine some of my ideas. That work was larger and I posted it here about two years ago. I considered it a success in itself but wanted to do something more descriptive of the pavilion.

 In total, besides graphite sketches now discarded I did at least four or five rendering of this complicated subject before feeling satisfied.

 

 

 

"Landmark," oil on panel, 14x11
"Landmark" is still not a very large work at 14x11but the size is appropriate to the amount of detail intended. My interest was in the roofline with its various devices for luck and to propitiate the heavens with the sculptural effects of clouds and foliage. But it was important to have the colors right and the tiles of the roofline.



No comments:

Post a Comment