Friday, February 03, 2023

Winter Sketching Outdoors

For me, most winter days mandate studio time, not outdoor work. The skies are often low, as are the frigid temperatures, along with wind and all manner of precipitation. But once in a while the skies are bright and the temperatures high enough to venture outside. Last month, for the first time in several weeks I managed a Saturday afternoon with the sketch group. In the end I did my sketching from the front seat of my car because even though the weather outside seemed welcoming the cold was distracting and the warm kept the car cozy. The little red building is a pump house in Waterworks Park, the giant city park not far from my home studio. The second sketch shows the Raccoon River bend I've sketched and painted many times, not far away. Each of these is watercolor and ink in a 3.5x7.5 pocket sketchbook.




If you haven't read about the group before, follow this link to a post about us that went up a bit over a year ago. Basically the group has a fluid makeup of professionals, dedicated amateurs and interested others who go out together to sketch and paint every Saturday afternoon. Incredibly, the group has continued and evolved since its origins in 1947.

No comments:

Post a Comment