Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Longing for Outdoors

During the brutal cold, deep snow, and entirely necessary stay indoors, I found myself long for the chance to go outside and paint. Although I painted a couple of small watercolors from the window of the studio, they were no substitute for the chance to spend significant time outside. 

"Druid Hill Creek," wc on paper, 3.5x5.5
This little watercolor, done at the height of the recent blizzard, is an example of coping with severe winter weather. The creek that runs past my home was frozen and blue-grey, surrounded by big drifts. 

Nevertheless, I long for the lushness of spring, the heat of summer, and even the cold winds of autumn when the weather closes in. 

"Pastureland, Virginia," oil on panel, 9x12
This oil was one outdoors in Virginia, a view of pastureland along a serene river. The initials to the right of the tree were scratched into the wet paint when I finished the sketch--a tradition that indicates it was a plein air work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment